I’m still chugging along on this blanket. When I was first working on this, I’d thought I’d do 3 blocks across by 4 blocks deep (a block being 4 mitered squares) and had thought that was only 36 miters… but my math was wrong – that would be 48 squares. Since I’m pretty happy with the current size of the blanket, I’m sticking with 36, but obviously, only 3 block by 3 blocks.
I’m knitting this for a baby that is due on the 7th of September and I’ve only got 8 more blocks left. Now, you should know that the mom said that she doesn’t think he’s going to wait until the 7th. But 8 blocks isn’t that much. After that, I’ll only have to seam them and knit the borders. I’m feeling pretty confident about my ability to finish this.
In a previous post about this blanket, someone left a comment suggesting that I must want to add some blue to the blanket. And while I’m appreciative of that person’s kidn suggestion, at the same time I don’t intend to add any blue to this blanket for two reasons:
- I chose a color them of greens and neutrals and adding blue to the mix would kinda mess that up. And I haven’t done all this work for nothing.
- I’m a feminist and one of the issues that peeves me the most is gender stereotyping. I’ve pretty much decided that unless it’s a special request, I’m probably not going to be knitting any pink or blue baby blankets. *I tried to write a few sentences explaining myself here, but nothing I could come up that was adequate could be said succinctly – so I think that’s going to have to be another post.
In the meantime, I’m going to keep knitting this blanket. And I’ll be sure that I’m going to finish it in about a month, never mind that while I’ll be working on this, I’ll also be doing the following:
- Moving 1/2 way across the country again (see the box in the top photo)
- Unpacking an entire apartment’s worth of stuff
- Ending my summer job
- Completing about 2 weeks of intense training for my new job
- Beginning my new job
- Leading about 2 weeks of intense training for my RAs (by intense, I mean 12 hour day…)
- Completing orientation and registering for graduate school
- Beginning Graduate school