First, I must explain that I am not the cleanest person in the world (busy college student) – I may have piles of clothes everywhere and my room may be littered with empty diet coke cans. However, I do not leave flood laying around and when I spill something on the floor, I clean it up. There is a difference between messy and dirty. One is stuff where it doesn’t belong, the other is just disgusting.
Now, this room I’ve been staying in for the summer has a unique air conditioner. It’s attached to the wall and it can also be a heater. Now, perhaps it’s the fact that I’m on the ground floor, perhaps it’s the fact that it’s so ridiculously humid. I think that the unit is flawed and I’m really upset- it’s festering mold everywhere in my room!
Let me explain. In the beginning of the summer, I helped with room checks in this new building and as I was going through, I noticed that my supervisors had noted that many rooms needed the AC units to be cleaned because of mold issues. A few weeks later, I realized that my allergies were bad (when I was younger, an allergy test showed that I was allergic to mold) and perhaps my AC needed to be cleaned. I put in a work order. The next day, Look what they took out of my AC. Gross, I know.
Now, as I prepare to move out, I am relieved because I know the mold is growing back. The problem – I didn’t realize that mold was being cultivated all over my room. Look, it’s growing on my refridgerator (ignore the plastic fork – I have tons of them that I steal from the food courts). And I will swear on my life that I wiped that fridge down two weeks ago – because there had been mold on it!
There’s even some mold on the carpet ( short, acrylic burber – it’s not supposed to have fuzz). My copy of Mason Dixon Knitting was laying right near that carpet patch – nothing like a soggy moldy book!
And just now, growing on the fabric part of a covered basket where I was storing yarn.
It was inches from my yarn. INCHES!
And then, I realized that it was probably everywhere. the moisture, excess humidy and growing mold from my AC had probably distributed pores of mold everywhere.
I don’t know what this means. I suspect that I have to wash every skein and ball of yarn that has been exposed to the air in my room for longer than a few hours.
Now, my boyfriend think’s I’m over-reacting. But if you think about it, little spores of mold MUST be everywhere in my room. This does not look good.
I’m thinking that I’ll soak it in a vinegar solution, rinse, soak it in a baby shampoo solution, rinse, soak it in a kookaburra wool wash solution, rinse and then let it bake dry in the hot summer sun.
What do you think? Should I wash the yarn? Should I ignore that I ever found the mold? How should I wash the yarn (if that’s what you think I should do)? Please, please, help me.
The photo to the left shows about 80% of my stash. I have a lot. And washing it all would be a taxing process indeed.
I don’t know what to do. Help me. Impart your wisdom upon me. Have mercy on me yarn gods.
ETA – for any poor souls who find themselves in a similar situation – an update on how the situation was handled (should you have stumbled on this post from a google search, etc.) is in the post from my blog here.